Renovations are wonderful things… said someone who hasn’t ever lived in one. I am feeling a great sense of relief as we only have a handful of small projects to do before the kitchen will actually be complete. I couldn’t be more ready. A renovation is a marathon. It’s something that doesn’t end quickly and by the end you’re so ready to be done but your just out of steam. You put one foot in front of the other and just keep going, hoping to finish before you pass out.
Here’s some hopefully comical truths about home renovation for any of you newbies out there. But don’t let these truths freak you out… it’s all worth it in the end.
1. You will undoubtedly go over the original budget. So, keep a few extra $$$ tucked away just in case… oh and actually DO A BUDGET! A budget should be written down and outlined with specific goals for each material in mind. If you’re staying debt free like us, a detailed budget is a must. I took all our needs and “comparison shopped” before I created our first budget.
2. There is always a hidden issue. Remember number 1, yeah. Budget for the worst. Ours was well, the entire kitchen. We originally thought we could just refurbish the old cabinets, replace the counters, update flooring and do a new backsplash… then we realized the reality. It all had to go. Our thrifty renovation turned into an entire gut job.
3. Renovations are messy. Enough said. We plan to eventually budget to get our ducts cleaned by pros, something I highly recommend to keep your home clean and your family healthy.
4. Renovations take more time than you originally intend. This is always something we have experienced… and it is just a natural fact of life. Tack on some extra days, weeks, or months depending on how big the job is.
5. You will need to hire a pro. I don’t care if you are a mega DIYer like myself. You will need a pro at some point. My rule of thumb is if it can kill me, burn down my house, or flood my house I don’t do it. Hire a good electrician and a plumber, period…and highly consider an interior designer or decorator if you have no idea what you’re doing!
This is more of a comical post… if you’ve done any real renovations of your home you know that all the above are true. Renovating a home can be stressful at times but the hard work pays off in high reward. Remind yourself that when everything is done you’ll be pretty happy. You can do this! For more inspiration, check out my Pinterest or Instagram. As always, make today beautiful!