The biggest buzzword in home decorating last year seemed to be Hygge. That word, simply isn’t going away. So what is hygge, anyway?
Hygge (pronounced Hoo-ga) is a Danish word to describe a content, cozy state of being. It’s a lifestyle that embraces a life of contentment without need or want.
Imagine yourself on a snowy day, snuggled under a blanket, next to your loved ones, with your favorite cup of tea. Imagine no chores needing done, no distractions, and simple bliss. This is HYGGE.
So how exactly do we go about embracing this Danish lifestyle in our homes? The answer to this may be a little different for everyone. However, it’s simply by enjoying the little things.
But how do we enjoy the little things in today’s busy lifestyle? Perhaps that answer isn’t found in things. As I strive to live to the best of my word of 2019: Simplicity [see post here], I think Hygge is really what I am striving for. So here is a list of things I am doing this month to live a simpler, more content lifestyle.
Things I am doing to live a Hygge lifestyle in my own home:
- Decluttering- I find I am happier and healthier with less things. I am donating any and everything I can.
- Deep Cleaning- I am always more content and happy when my home is clean and welcoming.
- Buying What I Love- I think when you love finding a deal, sometimes you compromise. Things do not make you happy, lets make that clear. But when you are surrounded things you love (not just have because some influencer told you to) you are generally more content. So instead of buying something because its trendy I will buy what I need and what I love.
- Focusing on Family- You know what I love more than anything in this world (and Jesus)? My husband and my daughter… period.
- Being Present, not Perfect- Can I get an Amen?!?! Hygge isn’t about being perfect–its about living in the moment and being content. When I am focused on perfection, I am NOT content or happy. So, instead I choose to live in the moment and be thankful for one more day.
I hope you would find a way to be more content and happy with your home. Thank you again for reading and go and make your home more beautiful, today! For more inspiration follow along on Instagram or Pinterest!