Confession time. One of my guilty pleasures is checking out the local real estate market about once a week. A few weeks ago, we took a drive in our old neighborhood and I was astonished to see some homes on the market that simply aren’t moving. It’s like the market has frozen in our old neighborhood where as a couple years ago it looked like it was starting to soar.
That my friends is the reality of real estate. Homes either move quickly or slowly… never much in between. Are you thinking about selling your home soon? There are some simple things you can do to get your home to sell faster and for more than the other guy, if you play the real estate game right.
***Disclaimer: This is not meant to be solid financial or real estate advice. This is simply observations, opinions and research. Always know that real estate is one of the most risky financial investments and should be considered with great care.***
5 Simple Real Estate Selling Tips:
1. Know the Market. And hire a professional that knows the market. Did you know listing with a real estate agent typically means you will sell your home for way more than if you list it yourself? Truth. I think when people see and calculate commission fees it freaks them out. But remember your realtor works for YOU and a good one is worth the investment!
2. Price it to Sell. Be realistic in your expectations. Use a real estate agent to help you determine a fair price, and remember their commission too. Use real estate mortgage pay off calculators to ensure profit and value. After all, if it’s too overpriced no bank will finance it for a potential buyer. If it’s under priced you could loose out of a lot of money.
3. Curb Appeal. Lets be real, the way your home looks on the outside gets buyers inside. Clutter, unclipped grass, bad or chipping paint colors… it can turn a potential buyer off before they even agree to come take a look. In fact, did you know that something as simple as chipped paint can cause a bank (buyer’s lender) decide to not finance the loan? (Some government loans such as VA or FHA loans require strict inspections.)
4. Declutter. Perhaps one of the best kept real estate secrets is closet rule. Gut your closets of all your things. Get a head start on packing and massively declutter. This gives the appearance of incredible storage and it helps your home look way more valuable. So, get to cleaning and host a massive yard sale BEFORE you list.
5. Stage to Sell. In tough real estate markets, I recommend that you set yourself up for success by staging your home. Hire a professional to make sure your space is being seen by an unbiased eye—someone who can see your property just like the buyers will. And don’t hire those stagers who are only looking to sell their furniture and home decor. You’re selling a home not their stuff! (More on that later).
Making small investments into your property now, will pay off in the future. Take time to do your research, hire a professional, and stage your home for success. Live in Northwest Missouri or Southeast Nebraska? I’d love to chat! Drop a comment below or hit the “contact me” button above!
I love to help people be inspired in their homes and businesses. Connect with me on social media for daily updates, tips, and tricks. Find me on Instagram and Pinterest! Now go and make today BEAUTIFUL!